Changing Parameters

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

In Memory


On January 28, my 16-year-old cousin Cameron Chase Lee was killed in a car accident in his hometown of Mystic, CT. He is missed more than words can say. I've looked for poems and song lyrics to pay tribute to him, but I haven't found anything sufficient. His family and his many friends keep him in their hearts -- he lives on in us.

And on us -- about 25 of his friends, his brother, his mother, his aunt, and others I probably don't even know about, have gotten tattoos in his memory.

Here is mine. It's on my upper back on the left side. This picture was taken just after it was done, which is why the skin looks pink around it. It has healed nicely and looks great. I look at it every day to remind myself of the way that Cameron lived. I wish I'd known him better -- nothing I can do about that now. All I can do is try to live better. I made a list of a few things I took away from the week I spent in Connecticut with Cameron's family, meeting and spending time with Cameron's closest friends, listening to stories of how he lived, looking at pictures, and marvelling at the strength of love.

Things Cam Taught Me about Life and Love
Cameron lived and loved. Let him be an example.
Be there for the people you love.
Embrace the challenges.
If someone you love is in need, try to help them find what's missing.
Ask yourself what you’ve done to keep yourself alive or prolong your life today.
Fight your fears.
Work hard.
Play hard.
Call a friend.
Send your grandparents a card.
Tell your parents you love them.
Find the things that feed your soul.
Be open to love.
Let the good things come.
Give as good as you get.
Stop waiting for your real life to begin.
Never put your life on hold for anything.
Embrace your inner fool.
Let your freak flag fly.

I try to think of this list once a day -- sometimes I add something to it, or reword it as things become clearer. It's my life list. And my Cameron tattoo is my reminder to stop and think about it.

Cameron Chase Lee -- from what his friends tell me, he was bringin' sexy back, to know him was to love him (or at least laugh a lot), and his feet really, really stank. To me, he will always be FOREVER YOUNG.

1 Comments:

  • There are so many inspiring lines in this post... If only the inspiration did not have to be borne of such pain and loss. I extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

    By Blogger Gina, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home